Cuba Libre






Visit to Cuba Libre
My visit to Cuba Libre was an awesome experience of Cuban cuisine.  Upon my entrance into the restaurant I felt as though I instantly escape New Jersey and entered into the island of Cuba.  The ambiance of the Cuban Flag, palms trees, furniture décor, and the music gave me the sense that I was in perhaps Santiago de Cuba.  The candle lit atmosphere produced a warm comforting sensation, which assured me that there was no rush.  My server was wearing a white Cuban shirt which also increased my anticipation of the restaurant’s authencity.   The menu was reader friendly and had a strong selection or chicken, fish, and vegetable.  My selection came from the lunch menu which included:
piqueos (2 appetizers)
Batata con Camarones (Cuban marinated shrimp, sweet potatoes, and arugula)   
I found this dish to be delicious as well as beautiful.  The interconnection of all the flavors infused my taste buds.  The one problem with the dish was the shrimp were a tab bit tough, but not unbearable.
Guacamole Cubano golden pineapple, lime juice, evoo, accompanied by crisp plantain chips. 
This appetizer was outstanding I did think just a hint of sea salt would have enhanced the flavor; however I enjoyed the combination of flavors.
Favoritos
Mama Amelia Empanadas:
De La Casa chicken, corn, sweet peppers, and jack cheese
Simply delicious
Cataluna shrimp, creamy spinach, and pine nuts.

The sweet pickled relish is to die for sorry don't know what the call it, but it came with the Empanadas.
The shrimp was sautéed well but had an overwhelming fishy taste.  I wouldn’t order that one again.
Overall I give Cuban Libre * * * * because of the fishy shrimp and the fact that rice and beans are not a part of the lunch menu.  Rice and beans is a must the portion could be small to compliment the idea of lunch being a lighter meal.  The pricing was affordable for adults it’s not necessarily a kids place unless they are accustom to the cuisine.  I’m looking forward to my next visit.